Roasted Chicken and Butternut Soup, from MarthaStewart.com
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 1/2 pounds), peeled, seeded, and diced medium
- 1 small yellow onion, diced medium
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Fresh cilantro (optional but recommended!)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet, toss together chicken, squash, onion, and oil; season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer and roast until squash and chicken are cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and let cool. Transfer squash and onions to a medium pot and add broth, cumin, and coriander. Bring to a simmer over medium-high. With a potato masher or back of a wooden spoon, mash some vegetables until soup is thick and chunky. Discard skin and bones from chicken; cut meat into small pieces and add to soup. Stir in lemon juice; season to taste with salt and pepper. To serve, top with fresh cilantro, if desired.