About a month ago I bought a couple of green plantains (can’t you just tell this is going to be an exciting story??). I waited and waited for them to ripen and turn brown/black, which FINALLY happened this week. I had wanted to try PaleOMG’s mashed plantain recipe this whole time, so that’s what these two lucky plantains were destined for. I whipped it up the other night with a few changes, and have been frying up the mash in patties (per the suggestion of my friend Devin — genius!) and devouring them alongside eggs for breakfast and on their own as sweet, lightly spiced, crispy little treats.
Crispy Mashed Plantain Patties, adapted from PaleOMG’s Caramelized Mashed Plantain recipe
- 4 brown/black plantains, peeled, sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- pinch of salt
- 3-4 tablespoons canned coconut milk
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add sliced plantains and sprinkle with cinnamon, cumin, cayenne, and salt.
- Cook on both sides for 4-5 minutes or until soft.
- Using a food processor, puree plantains. While the food processor is still running, pour in the coconut milk until you get a smooth puree. When I made this, my mixture was quite thick, like play dough. This is perfect for making patties but if you want it thinner for just mashed plantains, you can keep adding coconut milk.
- You can stop here and serve if you just want some tasty mashed plantains. For crispy patties, read on!
- Heat 1 tablespoon fat of choice in a skillet over medium-high heat (bacon fat in a cast iron skillet worked great for me).
- If your plantain mixture is thick like mine was, you can roll into balls, flatten into patties, and place in the skillet. If it’s thinner, pour it in like pancake batter.
- Cook until both sides are brown and develop a nice crust, then place on a paper towel lined plate to crisp up until they’re cool enough to eat.
- Enjoy straight up as a snack, with eggs, avocado, and hot sauce for a savory breakfast, or alongside pulled pork for dinner.